Answers: How can I sponsor a relative or family member for U.S. immigration?

To sponsor a family member, you must either be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. Relatives whose immigration can potentially be sponsored include spouses, children, parents, siblings and fiancés. The sponsorship process usually requires completion of Form I-864, an affidavit of support. A local immigration attorney can provide more information about the process of sponsoring a relative.